Signing up is the first step to joining in the conversation. Here’s some extra hints to keep up to date.
- To add your photograph to the web site, there’s a setting from the menu at the top of the window where you can upload a JPG file.
- My Account … Profile … Edit Profile … Change Avatar …
- Activity is centered on Groups. The main one is the Systemists Group, which you should join. You are welcome to join any other(s) that interest you.
- To receive e-mail notifications of activities, set your preferences (on the menu bar in the middle of the screen, as the rightmost option “Notifications“). Preferences are set up for each group separately.
- Sitewide notifications can be followed in near-real-time …
- from a feed reader, you can subscribe to http://syscoi.com/commons/activity/feed/;
- on Twitter, up to five updates per hour are fed into http://twitter.com/syscoi ;
- on Friendfeed, you can follow at http://friendfeed.com/syscoi , and then enable Friendfeed over IM to Google Chat or Jabber.
- Status updates can be posted either on My Profile on the Commons stream, or on one of the Group streams. The latter may be preferred, to reduce noise in the Commons.
- On Buddypress, status updates are akin to “The Wall” on Facebook.
- Simultaneous publishing to Twitter of status updates and/or forums requires authentication on both web sites.
- On syscoi.com initiate the authorization at My Account … Profile … Edit Profile … Settings … Tweetstream …
- In status updates and forums, you can create links to pages by writing HTML code.
- If you make a slip on the initial posting, you can re-edit the text afterwards.
- Lists (e.g. ul) don’t seem to work.